I normally don't take on all the work of stripping down and sanding off all of the finish, but this piece really needed to be cleaned up! So a few hours later I was down to the raw wood.
I removed the metal scrolly things and sanded again with a lighter grit paper....just like new!
After this I primed and spray painted with Krylon Brushed Metallic in nickel. I liked the finish but the silver color looked cheap. I needed to add some depth to the color and also to bring out the details. So I used a dark brown glaze over the silver, much better. (sorry no pictures of that step)
Added some glass knobs and its done! I really like how it turned out.