Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thank you so much for the comments on the chair redo. When I was posting I didn't think anyone would actually be reading my blog! You have motivated me to do more and finish all the projects I have laying around here!

I thought I would share this idea for sidelights or any window you would like to add a design to. I have two windows on the side of my front door. It would drive me crazy when people would come to the door and look through them. Privacy people! I really liked the look of the faux rod iron, but at a price of $125 a window I new I could do better! (I am really thrifty like that!)

My brother has a vinyl business, so I talked him into cutting these for me. So they were free! (But if you would like some, he would sell them for around $40-75 a window depending on the size and detail.)


We first cut out the brown layer and then added a frosted vinyl over that for the privacy. I liked it both ways, you wouldn't have to add the frosted layer. I love how it still lets the light in, and it looks so neat at night when the porch lights illuminate through.



So what do you think? I need to get a better camera and become a better photographer, but hopefully you can get the idea. The best part about it is it's vinyl so when you are tired of it you can just peel it right off. I choose a dark brown, but you could do any color you wanted. My brother liked it so much he did a frosted vinyl on his windows. He likes more of a modern look and did a geometric square pattern that looked really great.

9 comments:

  1. I will make a note about your brother, I have had times I would have loved to have known that. I also love your chair. 5* as for your pink carpet, I know how that feels, my walls are green, but a yellow green and in pictures it always looks like a blue green... Can't wait to see more of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that a fabulous idea! I've alway wanted a door with sidelites but was always worried about the privacy issue. I know some people have shirred curtains but then what's the point. I would like to have the additional light in my foyer. So good idea! Your chair redo is cute too!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the windows look so wonderful! I love the idea. It lets the light in and you also have privacy. Instant art for your doorway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Maybe that would cut down on the amount of tiny fingerprints you can see on my windows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea, it looks great! I, too, have windows on the side and top of my front door and many people look through them, it is frustrating, especially if your coming down the stairs-you can see everything!! I may have to steal this idea (I own a cricut so I can probably cut the vinyl myself). I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! that looks awesome! Lucky you to get them free! :)
    thanks for the kind words about the cane back chair re-do.
    good luck on your blog!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. The side windows turned out perfect and prettier then most special order doors and sidelights. Love this so much, YAY to your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is perfect! I love it, great idea!

    ReplyDelete